Saturday, November 26, 2011

Defeated by #Gizmo: #Dog 1, owner 0

Please, please, please: sometimes I just want what I want
2 am: Gizmo, in cage, after relieving himself in the garden at 11 pm, whimpers.  I try to remain asleep, but I am awake.  I turn on lights, walk to his containment cage, say, NO, and loudly slap the side of the cage.           
          3:10 am:  More whimpering, same response from me.   
          4 am: light barking, more whimpering from the #dog.  Same response, preceeded with shining flashlight in his face.  More louder “NOs.”      
          4:45 am: after turning off the burglar alarm, more “No’s from me, then I let him out in the back yard, where he runs to his place to urinate and stays there a long time.  Then he runs inside and laps up nearly an entire bowl of water.  Instead of putting him back in the cage, I go to my office. 
         He happily walks ahead of me (am I losing dominance?) and goes to sleep in his corner under the desk.  I leave him there for the rest of the night, although I close the doors to our bedroom so he cannot get in there and possibly pee on the white rugs.             
         Gizmo is the clear winner.  Is he learning that if he whimpers enough, he will get what he wants? 
     
"When the old dog barks it is time to watch."
 Latin Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment