Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gizmo: Our dog act


         Open Call, the local version of America’s Got Talent, was a wonderful show, with 22 fine amateur acts doing their stuff in the grand and presentational McCallum Theatre in Palm Desert, CA.  
         When I saw the dancers, singers, ventriloquist and fire dancers, I thought about entering Gizmo in this local talent competition next year.  But what tricks could he do?
          Gizmo has only one current trick -- going to fetch a ball and then not bringing it back, which I would hold for our encore. 
His big, final, bring-down-the-house trick would be: I would lie  down on the floor and he would sniff my face and nose as I began to giggle.  Then he would sneeze in my face and I would laugh so hard I couldn’t catch my breath.  Hearing me laughing, the audience would join in until the auditorium itself was shaking with laughter.
         Finally, he would snoot my armpit, pushing his head into it again and again, deeper and deeper, until he turned over on his back, wiggled his stumpy legs in the air and smiling as if he had accomplished something beyond description.  We would then acknowledge our standing ovation with appropriate humility. 

         "Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes." ~Lewis Grizzard

No comments:

Post a Comment