Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Boxer at the Table

Not Archie: too small

Archie, the Giant Boxer:
       When I was a youngster living on the South Side of Chicago, my best friend Corwin owned a huge, slobbering, terribly friendly boxer named Archie.
         This is Archie’s story, according to Corwin:  “He was a monster of over 100 pounds.  They don’t come that big these days because of dollar-intensive breeding. 
          “After I went to college, Archie was totally spoiled by my mom.  How totally?  It got to the point that, when the meal was over, Archie would sit in her lap and clean her plate.
         “My wife-to-be was raised on a farm, where animals had their place and it was definitely NOT at the dinner table. 
          “When I came home from school, I brought her along because I wanted her to meet my family.  Dating was getting serious between us and this meeting was in preparation for the hoped-for marriage.
         “It was a pleasant meal, everything went well until Archie and Mom did their little act.  When this 100-pound boxer jumped on Mom’s lap and began cleaning her plate, my wife-to-be was flabbergasted.
         “It was the start of her teasing me about the strange habits of people from the big city compared to the more civilized farm folks.  It did not lead to the divorce.”

“The average dog is a nicer person than the     average person.
” -Andy Rooney  

No comments:

Post a Comment