Saturday, July 9, 2011

The #poop signal

I communicate my way, you communicate yours.

Our first long walk along the dusty, quaint dirt and gravel roads of the El Dorado development in Santa Fe, NM.   We walk about a half-mile to a corner where a sleek, thin Doberman patrols (and never leaves) the property.  Because it is his job, the Doberman begins to growl and bark, warning us to stay on the road and never, ever to trespass on his master’s property.                                 
        Gizmo is completely unconcerned.  He is involved in his friendly yips and moans of pleasure at meeting a new dog.  For reasons known only to Gizmo and communicating I know not what, Gizmo takes a dump on a plant about six inches inside of the property line the Doberman is patrolling.  What could that possibly mean?  If a human being did something like that, there would almost certainly be a fight, once the laughing stopped. 
         Gizmo might be saying, “You go ahead and bark, while I have some business to do.”  Or: “I offer you a three-sausage-poop salute.”    If humans did that, there would be even more reason to start another war.
“I've caught more ills from people sneezing over me and giving me virus infections than from kissing dogs.” Barbara Woodhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment