Friday, July 22, 2011

#dog #ownership according to #Alexander #McCall #Smith

If you read to me, I will accept Grace or Norm as my Owners or Gods, whatever.

From “The Dog Who Came In from the Cold,” by Alexander McCall Smith, a Corduroy Mansions Novel: William has taken his dog Freddie de la Hay, a Pimlico terrier, to the veterinarian, where they are talking about the concept of ownership of a dog:
     “Can I call myself Freddie’s owner?”
     The vet sighed.  “It’s a bit of a minefield,” she said.  We get people coming in here who insist on being called their dog’s companion.  Sometimes they call themselves the animal’s guardian or carer.  There are quite a lot of dog carers in certain parts of London.  Islington, for example.  I don’t mind really.  The idea is that the pet – oops, can’t say that – that the animal has rights, has its own existence that humans shouldn’t seek to control.””

No comments:

Post a Comment