Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Early #morning #dog-owning #pleasures:

Is it time to let me jump on the bed with you guys?


      Why having a #dog is a continuing #pleasure:  In the mornings I usually awaken shortly before Gizmo does.  He takes a long, luxurious stretch and then finds me brushing my teeth.
     There follows a gentle sniff on my calf, a greeting accompanied by a furiously wagging tail.
      About that time we both hear Grace’s stirring in bed.   We go back to the bedroom where Gizmo waits for a nod from me, which means he can leap on the bed, where he is not allowed at night.  He shoves his cold nose into Grace’s armpit.  Then, tail thumping, he turns over on his back, wriggles with pleasure into her shoulder blades and offers us a smile of total madness and pleasure.
     When I join them on the bed, Gizmo the politician splits his attention equally between us.   It is as joyous and life affirming as a morning’s greeting can be.
     "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras

No comments:

Post a Comment