Thursday, May 5, 2011

DOG PARK WAR, part III

So many dog-park friends


         Jan, one of our five council member, finally called me back when I was home.  After I explained how upset more than a dozen constituents were, after I suggested that either a dog park or hours reserved for dogs which are off lease, I told her that the dog owners of her district (more accurately, I should have said the dog owners who arrive at Ironwood Park between 7:45 and 8 am and who may or may not be actual voters for her) want a dog park, but if that is not possible, how about reserving the hours in the morning, when the children aren’t there, to off-leash dogs.
         She politely answered that already there were 7 dog parks or dog runs in Palm Desert, two were trails into the mountains, but the others had fences, water, garbage cans and so on.
         I didn’t know this, so while she was talking, I went on the Palm Desert, found the addresses of the dog parks and printed them up.
         The dog park in the Civic Center park area was perfrectly grand: less than 10 minutes by car from our home, with separate enclosures for large and small (under 30 pound) dogs, water nd bowls, benches in the shade so the owners can relax and so on.
          It was so good that I called the council member back and told her that the Civic Center dog park could not be improved upon.  I thanked her for her patience and the information.
         I concluded by saying that, as a tax payer, I now oppose any additional dog parks in our city as a waste of money.

“Men cheat for the same reason that dogs lick their balls... because they can.”   Kim Cattrall, as Samantha Jones in TV’s Sex and the City series

No comments:

Post a Comment