Tuesday, December 20, 2011

But First the #Dog #added to the problem:


Dog Credited with Saving Man After Farm Accident
           ABC 2 WBAY:   A dog in Winnebago County is being called a hero.   Its owner was involved in a recent farm accident, and if it weren't for the dog's bark he may not have been found in time.
              Bob Kumbier has a special relationship with his dog, Holly, expressing a sense of gratitude after he survived an accident on the day after Thanksgiving when a skidster malfunctioned and pinned him to the point he couldn't move or breathe.  (A “skidster” is a huge shovel attached to a tractor.)
              "She saved my life, because I was running out of air," Bob said. "I knew if I passed out, I was trying not to pass out, and I knew if I passed out I didn't know how long it would be before anybody would find me."
             At the time of the accident, Kumbier was operating a skidster. The bucket was all the way up. He was in the driver's seat and got out to fix a pedal that was stuck. When he did so, the arm came crashing down, trapping him in a space only inches wide.   "All I could do was start yelling for help, and that's when Holly my dog came.".
"Holly jumped up in the bucket and she was trying to lick my face, and every time she jumped I could feel that extra weight squeezing me, and I kept telling her, 'Holly, no,' and then I'd go, 'Oh help! Somebody, can you help?' And she started barking more and louder."
            COMMENT:  A hero?  First she almost suffocated him.  It’s like “Lassie, rescue the boy from the mine shaft….Oh, no, don’t throw boulders down the shaft.  Bad Lassie.”
             "She wouldn't stop," Vicki Kumbier said somberly, "so I got my shoes on and I went out there. I know why she was barking, she wanted someone to help Bob, and if it wasn't for Holly I wouldn't have my husband."
            COMMENT:  But you would have Hollie, a dog with a fair amount of explaining to do.
            “We've begun to long for the pitter-patter of little feet - so we bought a dog. Well, it's cheaper, and you get more feet.   Rita Rudner

No comments:

Post a Comment