Thursday, August 18, 2011

Please #send me your #dog #stories: Linda Dillman loves her little #nipper


Oliver Dillman Pasek, 8, and Skipperdee
Samantha 10 and Oliver Pasek 8 with Skipperdee 

         Linda Dillman (Evanston, IL & Santa Fe, NM): My Evanston grandchildren do not have a dog, so I got one to share with them.  Never having had a dog, I was clueless, but smart enough to know I probably wanted an adult dog.   Of course after searching the shelters and rescue organizations around Santa Fe, my Evanston grandchildren and I visited a place called PUPS4Kids near Great America on Veteran's Day school holiday nearly two years ago.  They selected a 4-month-old male Yorkiepoo puppy. Thus began the doggie adventure with Skipperdee, named for Eloise's turtle (from Kay Thompson's delightful children's book of the spitfire little girl who lives with her nannie in the Plaza Hotel).
          Skipperdee’s only problem is that he nips, which has cost me thousands of dollars.  It is completely erratic behavior and happens totally without warning.         
            It happened once in Santa Fe Plaza when some young people ran across the sidewalk, and Skipper got a young man.  Fortunately, he did not press charges.  Under the heading of “small world isn’t it,” the group was from a church I attended as a child in Wellesley, MA.
           In Evanston, his "victims" have been Asian people, who were minding their own business. The first was a woman who approached from the right (my blind side).  She was wearing business clothes and was nipped on the left leg through hosiery.   Very slight, only a tiny amount of blood.  She reported it to the city.   Dog had to be seen by vet twice and put into home confinement for ten days.  Scary.
            Then, again in May with an Asian man who was with his son (visiting NU as prospective student).  Skipperdee nipped his pant leg and slightly into leg, but no blood drawn.   I took the man to my doctor's office and paid for the visit, blood sample and preventative antibiotic. Reported incident to vet immediately. I have not heard further from Cook County. I am told if it were to happen again, the dog could be taken from me, I would have to carry at least $100,000 extra liability insurance, etc.                           
              Skipperdee is usually an extremely gentle, friendly, dog, bred to be with kids (he's never done anything the least bit aggressive with kids).  He is terrified of bikes coming up from behind or in front near him, skateboards and runners.  Needless to say, I move him to the side and/or stop whenever one of these is in sight and am now much better about asking for his full attention and rewarding it.                                                               
             Thousands and thousands of dollars later, we have all learned a lot.  We have a variety of trainers in Santa Fe, where we live six months of the year, and Evanston, where we live the balance of the year.  We have learned about regulations, because we have suffered the consequences of reporting, rabies observations and virtual incarceration, and the threat of losing our precious dog.  Evanston is very particular about nippers and biters.  Skipper is a lamb most of the time, but he does have these irrational moments for which we have no explanation.                                           
              Life is different with Skipperdee.  I have always led a very active life and have never been much at home, but have been a couch potato in terms of exercise.   No more.  Now I am an active walker.  I am also trimmer with a social life now dominated by how can I do stuff and walk Skipper too.   Now I get into bed around 9 when Skipper goes into his "crate" and I read earlier and longer than I used to do.  He's a very flexible guy and seems to be happy to get up and out whenever I wake up.                                                                  
           Yes, I am pretty mad for him now.  He's exceptionally cute and cuddly and loves nothing more to snuggle.  Watching him run on Evanston's dog beach and in Santa Fe's wonderful dog parks with other dogs is a total joy.                                             
         I have become one of those "dog people."

 “Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun!”  Groucho Marx

No comments:

Post a Comment