Tuesday, January 3, 2012

#Fetching a #ball: competitive #dog sport


Yes, I will fetch when it is important to you

        Kenna, short for MacKenna, a bishon frisee, we met at Ironwood Park, is a rescue dog that is very friendly.  But Gizmo showed off.  Kenna’s owner admitted that her dog didn’t or wouldn’t fetch.  Anything.
             It was as if Gizmo heard a challenge.  Gizmo went into perfect fetching mode – three for three.  I had an old tennis ball in my pocket and threw it just beyond Gizmo, who bounded after it.  Then, listening to my command to “Drop,” brought the ball close to me and then nosed it towards me. 
I threw the ball again and Gizmo got it and returned it to me.  And again, something Gizmo never did before.
Kenna’s owner was suitably impressed.  And then we continued our walk.    
Alas, the next time I had a ball and Gizmo was nearby, he totally ignored my tosses and I had to fetch the ball myself.  From triumph to anomy: Kenna, where are you when we need you?

      “I don't let guys do hickeys. That's like a dog marking his territory or something.”   Eliza Dushku

No comments:

Post a Comment